Charles Gould Residence
Young Street, Uxbridge – CIRCA 1884
The Charles Gould Residence was originally a farm property, it was owned by Joseph Gould and was inherited by his son Charles in 1886. Charles and his brother Harvey ran the Gould Brothers Bank and the Gould Flour and Feed Store on Brock Street as well as the Uxbridge Roller Mills. While running many businesses in town he was also elected Reeve in 1884.
The farm was sold on 1914. A few years later Charles suffered a stroke and passed away on December 18, 1922.
The house has an unusual coffin door, which opens onto the front verandah and allowed a coffin to be carried in and out of the house. It was a common practice years ago to have funerals and wakes in the home. It was constructed of yellow bricks similar to the Uxbridge Library (Joseph Gould Institute)