Uxbridge History November 29, 2023

12 Spruce Street Uxbridge

12 Spruce Street, Uxbridge


The building was originally opened in 1945 as an egg grading station by Silverwoods Dairy. In 1954 the township purchased the building and renovated it to be the first municipal office in the towns history. The township later sold the building in 1974 when the Region of Durham was formed. The building was then the home of the police station until 1999 when it was purchased and reopened as the Vintner’s Nook, a wine making and equipment/supplies store.


The above Google street view image shows the building in 2016 before it was demolished.


It was discovered that a contamination bloom had spread under the building from the neighbouring gas station and in December 2016 Shell Canada took ownership to take responsibility to clean up the property. The town council received many calls and emails from residents urging them to do something to save the building but it became clear that it would have to be demolished as part of the clean up. 



Read about it here in the Uxbridge Cosmos



The photo below shows the property as it sits today after the cleanup was completed.  



Photos Courtesy of:


Uxbridge The Good Old Days by: J. Peter Hvidsten



The Uxbridge Cosmos

Uxbridge The Good Old Days by: J. Peter Hvidsten