Bascom – Williams House
70 Main Street – Circa 1872
According to the Uxbridge Heritage Register, the Bascom – Williams House built circa 1872 was a small square frame house that was later bricked but has since undergone a number of changes. The property was originally owned by Dr. Joseph Bascom. Dr. Bascom owned all the land on the west side of Main St between Brock St and Mill St before he divided it up into lots during the 1850’s. Ownership was transferred to his daughter Mary in 1872 and it is believed the house was built not long after that. Mary married Alonzo D. Williams who was the first clerk for the Village of Uxbridge and held that position for 27 years before his death in 1899. Alonzo Williams was the grandson of Elias Williams, who in 1831 became the first white settler in what is now Port Perry.
Source: The Uxbridge Heritage Register
Circa 1900 Photo courtesy of Uxbridge-Scugog Historic Homes and Heritage Buildings by: Paul Arculus and J. Peter Hvidsten
Visit our Uxbridge Historic Homes blog to learn about other historic homes in Uxbridge.