Samuel S. Sharpe Home
The following is taken from the Township of Uxbridge – Heritage Register
The Samuel S. Sharpe Home was “Initially built on a parcel of land circa 1877 by a local builder and known in the community as the “Mauder Mansion”, the building was originally purchased by the Sharpe family in 1881, and later owned by Uxbridge native Col. Samuel Sharpe in 1907. Col. Samuel Sharpe is one of Uxbridge’s most prominent public figures, having served as a Member of Parliament and distinguished service in the Canadian Military, having served overseas in Europe during WWI. The building remained in the Sharpe family until the passing of Col. Samuel Sharpe’s wife 1943, who was also a prominent public figure of Uxbridge within her own rights.”
The home was originally built with a taller tower on the north side. It is believed the top floor of the tower was either removed or destroyed by fire sometime after Sharpe’s death in May 1918.
During the time the Sharpe’s owned the home the verandah and the conservatory on the south side were added to the home. Unfortunately the conservatory was destroyed in 2022 by a tornado.
Learn about other historic homes in Uxbridge by following our blog “Uxbridge Historic Homes”
Credits and Sources
Uxbridge – Scugog Historic Homes & Heritage Buildigs by: Paul Arculus J. Peter Hvidsten
The Township of Uxbridge Heritage Register