Brownscombe Residence “Gleeholme”
Gleeholme was built somewhere between 1884 – 1901 by Charles W. Small. Mr Small was the owner of the Uxbridge Piano and Organ Company which was located just north of this home. It is believed that most of the material for the interior woodwork of the home came from his piano company.
In 1905 Mr Small sold the home to his daughter Mary Lapp and her husband. Two years later the home was sold to J. Fletcher and Emma Eliza Brownscombe who owned a large general merchandise store in town. Around 1908 was when the Brownscombes added the wrap around verandah. Except for a short time the home remained in the Brownscombe name until the late 20th century.
The origin of the name “Gleeholme” is unknown.
Source: Uxbridge – Scugog Historic Homes & Historical Buildings