John P. Plank Residence – 1874
John P. Plank Residence was built in 1874 by John P. Plank who was one of the early founders of Uxbridge.
He came to Uxbridge in 1826 and built the first Inn and Tavern in town. Later in 1828 he built a saw mill at Elgin Pond and the first store in town. The saw mill he later sold to Joseph Gould. In the 1840’s he built an Inn just north of the present day Music Hall. The Inn was the first brick building built in Uxbridge. He also owned 200 acres east of Main Street and in the 1850’s subdivided it and started selling the lots.
In the 1870’s he built the Plank House on the southwest corner of Brock and Main Streets. (See an earlier post https://www.shanecoxworth.com/BrockStreetUxbridge.) The building was later destroyed by fire.
In 1873 and entire block of buildings between Marietta St and Brock St were destroyed by fire, including J.P. Planks original house, which was once considered one of the finest in Uxbridge. Following the fire the house we see today was built.
J.P. Plank died in 1876 with his wife passing away a year later. The house remained in the Plank name until it was sold in 1934 to Hartley Vyvyan. It was then again sold to Anson T. Button Jr in 1936, who was the grandson of J.P. Plank.
Anson T. Button Jr divided the house into apartments and lived in the home until his death in 1969.
The house is now owned by the Low family. A large addition was added and the building is now the Low and Low Funeral Home.
The John P. Plank house as it looks today as Low and Low Funeral Home
Source and Photos
See other historic homes in Uxbridge in our blog here