Dr. Mellow – Dr. Bascom House
The Dr. Mellow – Dr. Bascom House was built by Dr. Bascom around 1863 after he graduated from medical school and started his practice in Uxbridge.
The house was originally built as a one and half storey with a gable above the front door. The Bascom house at this time had some detailing around the front entrance with a porch above but lacked the decorative trim typically found on homes built in this era.
Around 1880 the Dr. Mellow – Dr. Bascom House was renovated to make room for Dr. Bascom’s growing practice. A complete second storey and an addition for his office to the north were added.
In 1892 Dr. Bascom moved to Toronto and left the practice to his nephew Dr. Horace Bascom. Dr. Horace continued to practice out of the house until he sold the property to Dr. Frank Mellow, who took over in 1912. Dr. Mellow would then go on to service the Uxbridge community for over 50 years.
Dr. Mellow passed away in 1963 at the age of 89 leaving behind his wife and two children.
For many years the property was owned and maintained by members of the Mellow family.
Even though the house is almost 160 years old, it is still one of the most decorative and attractive homes in Uxbridge.
If you would like to learn more about this home or other historic homes in uxbridge visit the:
Or follow our Uxbridge Historic Homes blog
Information taken from: