Stokes/Kydd House Uxbridge
The Stokes/Kydd House at it’s present day location on the grounds of the Historical Centre. It is now where the museum staff work and holds several archives and artifacts.
The house was built in 1908 by George Stokes on a farm just east of the present day high school and on the south side of Brock Street E. According to the Uxbridge Historical Centre “George Stokes held several prominent positions in the community such as Councilor, Deputy Reeve, Reeve and Treasurer of the Agricultural Society”. The house was later sold to George and Nellie Kydd. Nellie would become Uxbridge’s first female mayor in 1963.
In 2002 the house was moved to the Historical Centre when the farm was sold to make room for the expansion of the Uxbridge Secondary School and the Coral Creek Subdivision. Planks Lane now extends through to Nelkydd Lane (Nellie Kydd).
The plaque on the front of the building showing the Stokes/Kydd House is designated under the Ontario Heritage Act as a Heritage Building.
The above photo of the Stokes/Kydd House is courtesy of the Uxbridge Historical Centre Facebook page.
The building now houses the Historical Centre’s offices and gallery shop.
The following photos show the present day high school parking lot and the school running track. Anyone who attended the Uxbridge Secondary School or the Joseph Gould Senior Public School prior to 2002 would remember the farm backing onto the school yard and the track. How many times did the cows cheer for the home team during a football game.
To learn about other historic homes in Uxbridge check out our blog Uxbridge Historic Homes