St. Paul’s Anglican Church
59 Toronto St S, Uxbridge – 1888
History of St. Paul’s Anglican Church
According to the Uxbridge Walking Tour Brochure the English Episcopal Church was built in 1834 (shown below) on Toronto Street. As the community grew so did the congregation. The old wooden building was torn down and in July 1887 the corner stone was laid for the new church. In 1888 the new St. Paul’s Anglican Church was officially opened with the tower being added one year later. The church was built in a traditional Anglican form, which is typically designed with a cross shape, with a long nave leading up to a transept that crosses the nave, forming a cross. The altar is usually located at the eastern end of the nave, with the choir and chancel surrounding it.
According to the Uxbridge Walking Tour Brochure the front stone entryway of St. Paul’s Anglican Church was updated in 1983 and a new addition on the south side was completed in 1998.
Here are some interior photos provided by the St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Uxbridge Facebook page.
Read About Other Churches in Uxbridge
Trinity United Church, Uxbridge
Photo Credits and Sources
The Uxbridge Walking Tour Brochure
Uxbridge The First 100 Years by: J. Peter Hvidsten
Uxbridge The Good Old Days by: J. Peter Hvidsten
St. Paul’s Anglican Church, Uxbridge Facebook page.