History of Uxbridge High School and Uxbridge Secondary School
Uxbridge High School – 1887
Uxbridge High School
In 1873 a school was built on the site of the current Uxbridge Public School. Elementary students were located on the first floor and high school students on the second floor.
Learn about the Uxbridge Public School here.
In 1887, when this school became overcrowded a new High School (shown above) was built on First Avenue across from the Methodist Church (Trinity United Church). It opened to students in February 1888.
The Uxbridge High School became run down and was not capable of serving the needs of the growing community. The school would either have to be enlarged, redesigned or replaced. It was decided that the school would be replaced by a new building located at the corner of Third Avenue and Planks Lane.
History of Uxbridge Secondary School – 1923
The school was originally built in 1923 and was known as Uxbridge High School. It opened to student in April 1924.
Since being built the school has seen five major additions. The first addition was in 1965 with others being added in 1979, 1985, 2003, and 2013.
Additions at Uxbridge Secondary School
The 1979 addition, which in this photo is hidden behind the 1965 addition added the former cafeteria, main office, the current gym and all the shops that existed up until 2003 addition.
Uxbridge Secondary School – Our School
Uxbridge Secondary School – 2020
Located at the corner of Planks Lane and Third Avenue South the school now serves students from grade 9 through 12. According the the Uxbridge Secondary School website the current school has 81 classrooms, two gymnasiums and a cafeteria and has a student population of 1020 with 84 teaching and support staff (September 2020).
The Township of Uxbridge is part of the Durham District School Board (DDSB) and the Durham Catholic District School Board (DCSB).
Here is a link to all the schools located in the Township of Uxbridge
Photos and sources
Uxbridge The Good Old Days by: J. Peter Hvidsten
Uxbridge The First 100 Years by: J. Peter Hvidsten
Scugog Heritage Gallery by: J. Peter Hvidsten