The Uxbridge Municipal Office
The Uxbridge Municipal Office is located at 51 Toronto Street South, right in the heart of town. The building was originally built in 1958 and was the home of the St Joseph’s Separate School. Over the years the student population grew and in 1990 they moved to their new location on Quaker Village Drive. The building was extensively renovated and an addition was added to give us the beautiful Town Hall we have today (seen in the second photo). Over the years there has been extensive landscaping and the grounds have displayed many sculptures by local artists.
St Joseph’s Separate School.
The school play ground was to the north of the school and was once the site of the home of Joseph Gould. In 1961-62 the stately home was torn down to provide the space for the newly constructed school. The lines of Joseph Goulds house were preserved in the architecture of the council chambers on the north half of the building.
Read about the Home of Joseph Gould in our blog.
The photo below taken in 1961 shows a group of students in front of St. Joseph’s Separate School with Joseph Goulds home in the background. Photo courtesy of Uxbridge The Good Old Days, by Peter Hvidsten
The Home of Joseph Gould
Source and Photos